There are many ways to lose weight fast.
That said, many diet plans can make you feel hungry or dissatisfied. These are the major reasons why you may find it difficult to stick to the diet.
However, not all diets have this effect. Low carb diets are effective for weight loss and can be easier to stick to than other diets.
Here is a 3-step weight loss plan that uses a low carb diet and aims to:
- Reduce your hunger
- The reason for rapid weight loss
- Improve your metabolic health at the same time
1. Cut back on carbs
The most important part is to cut back on sugars and starches, or carbohydrates.
When you do this, your hunger level decreases, and you usually eat significantly fewer calories (1).
Instead of burning carbs for energy, your body now starts burning stored fat for energy.
Another benefit of cutting carbs is that it lowers insulin levels, causing the kidneys to shed more sodium and water. It reduces inflammation and unnecessary water weight (2, 3).
According to some dieticians, it is not uncommon to lose 10 pounds (4.5 kg) – sometimes more weight – in the first week of eating in this way. This weight loss includes both body fat and water weight.
A study in healthy obese women reported that a very low-carb diet was more effective than a low-fat diet for short-term weight loss (4).
Research suggests that a low-carb diet can reduce hunger, causing you to eat fewer calories without thinking about it or feeling hungry (5).
Simply put, reducing carbs can result in quick, easy weight loss.
Removing sugars and starches, or carbs, from your diet can reduce your appetite, lower your insulin levels, and make you lose weight without feeling hungry.
2. Eat protein, fat and vegetables
Each of your meals should include protein s, fat s, and low carb vegetables.
As a general rule, try to eat two to three meals per day. If you find yourself hungry in the afternoon, have a fourth meal.
Producing your food in this way should bring your carb intake to about 20-50 grams per day.
To see how you can gather your food, check out this low carb meal plan and a list of 101 healthy low carb recipes.
Eating plenty of protein is an essential part of this plan.
Evidence suggests that eating a lot of protein can increase calorie expenditure by up to 80–100 calories per day (6, 7, 8).
High-protein diets can also reduce cravings and obsessive thoughts about food by 60%, reduce the desire for breakfast at midnight and make you feel full. In one study, people on a high protein diet ate 441 fewer calories per day (9, 10).
When it comes to losing weight, protein is an important nutrient to think about.
Healthy protein s include:
- Meat: Beef, Chicken, Pork, and Lamb
- fish and seafood: Salmon, trout and shrimp
- Eggs: Whole Eggs With Yolk
- Plant based proteins: Beans, Legumes, and Soya
Low carb vegetables
Don’t be afraid to load your plate with low carb vegetables. They are packed with nutrients and you can eat very large amounts without 20-50 net carbs per day.
A diet based mostly on lean protein s and vegetables has all the fiber, vitamins, and minerals you need to be healthy.
Many vegetables are low in carbs, including:
- Brussel Sprout
- Swiss chard
See the full list of low carb vegetables here.
Do not be afraid to eat fat. Trying to eat low-carb and low-fat foods at the same time can make the diet very difficult.
s of healthy fats include:
Gather each meal from a protein , fat and low carb vegetables. This will usually put you in the carb range of 20-50 grams and will significantly reduce your hunger level.
3. Lift weight three times per week
You do not need to exercise to lose weight on this plan, but there will be additional benefits.
By lifting weights, you will burn a lot of calories and prevent your metabolism from slowing down, which is a common side effect of losing weight (11%, 12).
Studies on a low carb diet suggest that you can gain a little bit of muscle while losing significant amounts of body fat (13).
Try to go to the gym three to four times a week to lift weights. If you are new to the gym, get some advice from an instructor.
If lifting weights is not an option for you, then doing some cardio workouts such as walking, walking, running, cycling or swimming will suffice. Both cardio and weightlifting can help in weight loss.
Resistance training, such as weight lifting, may be the best option. If this is not possible, cardio workouts are also effective.
Try to ‘carb refeed’ once a week
If you need to, you can take a day off per week where you eat more carbs. Many choose to do so on Saturdays.
It is important to stick to healthy carb s such as oats, rice, quinoa, potatoes, sweet potatoes and fruits. If you have a cheat meal and want to eat something unhealthy, then do it on this day.
Limit this to one high carb day per week. If you are not reducing carbs, you may not experience weight loss.
You may gain some water weight during your daylight, and you will usually lose it again in the next 1-2 days.
One day every week where you eat more carbs is acceptable, although not necessary.
What about calories and portion control?
Calculation of calories is not necessary as long as you keep your carb intake very low and stick to protein, fat and low carb vegetables.
However, if you want to count them, you can use such a free online calculator.
Enter your gender, weight, height and activity level. The calculator will tell you how many calories to eat per day to maintain your weight, lose weight, or lose weight fast.
You can also download a free, easily available calorie counter from the website and the App Store. Here is a list of 5 calorie counters.
It is not necessary to count calories to lose weight on this plan. It is most important to keep your carbs strictly in the 20-50 gram range.
10 tips to lose weight
Here are 10 more tips to lose weight fast:
- Eat a high protein breakfast. Eating a high protein breakfast can reduce cravings and calorie intake throughout the day (16, 17).
- Avoid sugary drinks and fruit juices. These are some of the most talked about things in your body (18, 19).
- Drink water before meals. One study showed that drinking water half an hour before meals increased the weight by 44% in 3 months (20).
- Choose food that is suitable for weight loss Some foods are better for weight loss than others. Here is a list of 20 healthy weight-loss-friendly foods.
- Eat soluble fiber. Studies show that soluble fibers can promote weight loss. Fiber supplements like Glucomannan can also help (21, 22).
- Drink coffee or tea. Caffeine increases your metabolism by 3–11% (23, 24, 25).
- Base your diet on whole foods. They are healthier, more filling, and are much more likely than processed foods.
- Eat slowly. Eating quickly can lead to weight gain over time, while eating slowly makes you feel more full and increases weight-loss hormones (26) 27).
- Weigh yourself every day. Studies show that people who weigh themselves every day are more likely to lose weight and keep it off for longer periods of time (28, 29).
- Get good quality sleep. Sleep is important for several reasons, and poor sleep is one of the biggest risk factors for weight gain (30).
For more tips on weight loss, read 30 natural weight loss tips here.
Sticking to a three-step plan allows for quick weight loss, and using other tips will make the diet plan even more effective.
How fast will you lose weight?
In the first week of a diet plan, you can sometimes lose 5–10 pounds (2.3–4.5 kg) – and then consistently lose weight.
If you are new to dieting, weight loss may occur. The more weight you have to lose, the faster you will lose it.
For the first few days, you might feel a little weird. Your body is used to drive carbs, and it can take time to get into the habit of burning fat instead.
Some people experience “keto flu” or “low carb flu”. It usually ends within a few days.
After the first few days, most people report feeling great, with more energy than before.
In addition to weight loss, a low carb diet can improve your health in several ways:
- Blood sugar levels decrease significantly on low-carb diets (31)
- Triglycerides tend to go down (32)
- LDL (bad) cholesterol is reduced (33, 34)
- HDL (good) cholesterol increases (35)
- Blood pressure is significantly improved (36, 37)
- A low-fat diet may be easier to follow as a low-carb diet
Most people lose significant amounts of weight on a low-carb diet, but speed depends on the individual. Low-carb diets also improve some markers of health, such as blood sugar and cholesterol levels.
By reducing carbs and lowering insulin levels, you will experience less hunger and hunger. This removes the main reasons that it is often difficult to maintain a weight loss plan.
On this plan, you can eat healthy food until you are full and still lose a significant amount of fat. An initial drop in water weight can cause a drop in the scales in a few days. It takes longer to reduce fat.
Studies comparing low-carb and low-fat diets suggest that a low-carb diet can also reduce you by two to three times as much as a normal low-fat, calorie-restricted diet (38, 39) 40).
If you have type 2 diabetes, talk to your healthcare provider before making the change, as this plan may reduce your need for medication.
If you want to try a low carb diet, check out these 7 healthy low carb meals that you can make in 10 minutes or less.
Read this article in spanish