If your doctor recommends this, there are ways to lose weight safely. A steady weight loss of 1 to 2 pounds per week is recommended for the most effective long-term weight management.
That said, many eating plans make you feel hungry or dissatisfied. These are the main reasons why you may find it difficult to stick to a healthy eating plan.
However, not all diets have this effect. Low-carb diets and whole foods, low-calorie diets are effective for weight loss and can be easier to stick to than other diets.
Here are some ways to lose weight that employ healthy food, potentially low carbs, and aim to:
Reduce your hunger
The reason for rapid weight loss
Improve your metabolic health at the same time
When you do this, your level of hunger decreases, and you usually eat fewer calories.
With a low carb eating plan, you will use stored fat burns for energy instead of carbs.
If you prefer to eat more complex carbs like whole grains with a calorie deficit, then you will benefit from higher fiber and digest them more slowly. This makes them more filling to keep you satisfied.
A 2020 study confirmed that a very low carbohydrate diet was beneficial for losing weight in the older population.
Research also suggests that a low-carb diet can reduce appetite, which can reduce calories without thinking about or eating less appetite.
Note that the long-term effects of low-carb diets are still being researched. It can also be difficult to follow a low carb diet, which can lead to yo-yo dieting and there is little success in maintaining a healthy weight.
There are potential downsides to a low carb diet that may lead you to a different method. A low calorie diet can also make it easier to lose weight and maintain it for longer.
If you opt for a diet focused on whole grains rather than refined carbs, the 2019 study correlated high whole grains with low body mass index (BMI) (4) is.
To determine the best way to lose weight, consult your doctor for recommendations.
Reducing sugars and starches, or carbs, from your diet can help curb your appetite, lower your insulin levels, and reduce weight.
But the long-term effects of a low-carb diet are not yet known. A low calorie diet may be more sustainable.
Each of your meals should include:
- A protein
- of fat
- The vegetables
- A small portion of complex carbohydrates, such as whole grains
To see how you can gather your food, see:
The intake of the recommended amount of protein is essential to help maintain your health and muscle while losing weight (5) is.
Evidence suggests that eating sufficient amounts of protein may improve cardiometabolic risk factors, hunger, and body weight.4, ., .) is.
Here’s how to determine how much you need to eat without eating too much. Many factors determine your specific needs, but in general, an average person is required (4):
- 56-91 grams per day for the average male
- 46-75 grams per day for the average woman
Diets with enough protein may also help:
- Reducing cravings and obsessive thoughts about food by 60%
- Reduce the desire to have breakfast late at night
- Makes you feel full
In one study, people on a high protein diet ate 441 fewer calories per day (10, 1 1) is.
Healthy protein s include:
- Meat: Beef, Chicken, Pork, and Lamb
- fish and seafood: Salmon, trout and shrimp
- Eggs: Whole Eggs With Yolk
- Plant based proteins: Beans, legumes, quinoa, tempeh and tofu
Low Carb and Leafy Green Vegetables
Don’t be afraid to load your plate with leafy green vegetables. They are full of nutrients, and you can eat without increasing too many calories and carbs.
Vegetables to include in a low carb or low calorie eating plan:
- Brussel Sprout
- Swiss chard
Do not be afraid to eat fat.
Your body still needs healthy fats, no matter what you eat. Olive oil and avocado oil are great choices to include in your meal plan.
Other fats such as butter and coconut oil should only be used in moderation due to their high saturated fat content.12) is.
Eat every meal out of protein s, healthy fat s, complex carb and vegetables.
Leafy green vegetables are a great way to bulk up a meal with fewer calories and lots of nutrients.
Exercise, while not required to lose weight, can help you lose weight more quickly. Weight lifting has particularly good benefits.
By lifting weights, you will burn a lot of calories and prevent your metabolism from slowing down, which is a common side effect of losing weight (13) 14, 15) is.
Try to go to the gym three to four times a week to lift weights. If you are new to the gym, get some advice from an instructor. Make sure your doctor is also aware of any new exercise plans.
If lifting weights is not an option for you, then doing some cardio workouts such as walking, jogging, running, cycling or swimming are very beneficial for weight loss and general health.
Both cardio and weightlifting can help with weight loss.
Resistance training, such as weight lifting, is a great option for losing weight. If this is not possible, cardio workouts are also effective.
Choose what is sustainable for you.
If you opt for a low carb eating plan. It is not necessary to count calories as long as you keep your carb intake very low and stick to protein, fat and low carb vegetables.
If you don’t find yourself losing weight. You may want to keep track of your calories whether this is an important factor.
If you are struggling with calorie deficit to lose weight. You can use such a free online calculator.
Enter your gender, weight, height and activity level. The calculator will tell you how many calories to eat per day to maintain your weight, lose weight, or lose weight fast.
You can also download a free, easily available calorie counter from the website and the App Store. Here is a list of 5 calorie counters.
Note that eating too few calories to lose weight can be dangerous and less effective. Depending on the recommendation of your doctor, aim to reduce your calories by a sustainable and healthy amount.
Calorie calculation is not required to lose weight on a low carb eating plan. But if you are not losing weight or are on a plan to eat fewer calories, calorie counting can help.
Here are 9 more tips to lose weight fast:
- Eat a high protein breakfast. Eating a high protein breakfast can help reduce cravings and calorie intake throughout the day (14, 1.) is.
- Avoid sugary drinks and fruit juices. Empty calories from sugar are not useful for your body and may hinder weight loss (1., 19).
- Drink water before meals. One study has shown that drinking water before meals reduces calorie intake and can be effective in weight management (20) is.
- Choose food that is suitable for weight loss. Some foods are better than others for weight loss. Here is a list of healthy weight loss foods.
- Eat soluble fiber. Studies show that soluble fiber can promote weight loss. Fiber supplements like Glucomannan can also help (21, 22, 23).
- Drink coffee or tea. Caffeine intake can increase your metabolism (24, 25).
- Base your diet on whole foods. They are healthier, more filling, and are much more likely than processed foods.
- Eat slowly. Eating quickly can lead to weight gain over time, while eating slowly makes you feel more full and increases the weight loss hormone (24) is.
- Get good quality sleep. Sleep is important for many reasons, and poor sleep is one of the biggest risk factors for weight gain (27, 28, 29).
Eating whole foods, high protein, soluble fiber and less sugar can help you lose more weight. Don’t forget to get a good night’s sleep, too.
These sample meal plans are of low carb, which limits the carbs to 20-50 carbs per day. Each meal should contain protein, healthy fats and veggies.
If you want to lose weight while eating complex carbs, then some healthy whole grains like:
- Whole oats
- whole wheat
- Smoked salmon with a side of avocado and asparagus
- Wrap with lettuce grilled chicken, black beans, cayenne pepper and salsa
- Banana and Spinach Salad with Grilled Tofu, Chole and Guamacol
- BLT Wrap with Celery Sticks and Peanut Butter
- Enchilada Salad with Chicken, Chili, Mango, Avocado and Spices
- Bake ground turkey with mushrooms, onions, peppers, and cheese
- Antipasto Salad with White Beans, Asparagus, Cucumbers, Olive Oil and Parmesan
- Roasted Cauliflower with Brush, Brussels Sprouts, and Pine Nuts
- Salmon cooked with ginger, sesame oil, and roasted zucchini
You can sometimes lose 5–10 pounds (2.3–4.5 kg) in the first week of a diet plan. The first week is usually the loss of both body fat and water weight.
If you are new to dieting, weight loss may occur. The more weight you have to lose, the faster you will lose it.
A loss of 1-2 pounds per week is usually a safe amount unless your doctor suggests otherwise. If you are trying to lose weight faster than this, talk to your doctor about safe levels of calorie reduction.
In addition to weight loss, a low-carb diet can improve your health in some ways, although the long-term effects are not yet known:
- Blood sugar levels decrease significantly on low-carb diets (30)
- Triglycerides go down (31)
- LDL (bad) cholesterol is reduced (32)
- Blood pressure is significantly improved (33)
Other dietary types that reduce calories and increase whole foods are associated with improved metabolic markers and slower aging (34). 35, 37) is. Ultimately, you may find a more balanced diet in which complex carbohydrates are more durable.
Significant weight can be lost on a low carb or low calorie diet, but speed depends on the individual.
Normal weight loss may improve some markers of health, such as blood sugar and cholesterol levels.
By reducing carbs or replacing refined carbs with complex carbs, you will experience less hunger and hunger. This removes the main reasons that it is often difficult to maintain a weight loss plan.
With a permanent low carb or low calorie eating plan, you can eat healthy foods until you are full and still lose a significant amount of fat.
An initial drop in water weight can cause a drop in the scales in a few days. It takes longer to reduce fat.