Time management tips for online college students
There are only 24 hours in a day and more than one fourth of it is spent sleeping. So, we are left with barely 16-17 hours in a day to manage all the things we have to do. There are several small but important activities that consume a large portion of the non-sleeping hours. Some of them include eating, bathing, commuting, and spending time with family and more.
For online college students managing the time becomes a little tricky. It all comes down to self-discipline. Millions of people all over the world have enrolled into online college degrees. With so many time demands, effective time management becomes a necessity. Here are some tips for you.
Get yourself a calendar system that you can use easily and effectively
- Today, almost everyone carries a smartphone. All the smartphones of today have a built in calendar app that comes for free. It is a great tool that can be used pretty effectively. But there are some people who go the traditional way as far as the calendars are concerned.
- Some use the old table or wall calendars to organize themselves. There are some people who use their computer calendar. It doesn’t really matter what you are using. You just need to find what really works for you.
- But it is important to choose the method that is not only reliable but also easy to use. Once you have found such a method fill in the necessarily details. This will help you keep track of all the important things you need to do and deadlines that need to be met.
Never let the class syllabus out of sight
- You must have your class syllabus close to you almost at all times. It does not mean that you need to carry it wherever you go. It simply means that it should be at the place where you are spending most of your idle time. Of course, your house is the best place for it.
- Syllabus is a road map that defines the learning trajectory you will need to follow over the duration of the course. It comprises of all the topics you have to learn, assignments you have to finish, and deadlines you need to meet.
- The syllabus must be at the easy access. You should refer to it regularly. Staying on course with the syllabus will help you figure out how to utilize your time better.
Organize the study space
- It is extremely important to create an environment conducive to learning. There are a lot of things that contribute to it. Unfortunately, online college students are not even aware of it.
- For example, the kind of lighting in the room plays an important role in helping you gain focus. Also, the type of chair you use also makes the difference. If your back aches all the time you will not be able to focus.
- Having a reliable and effective internet connection is also an important thing for online students. This is because they have to spend a lot of time online reading the course materials. Students do not need to spend a lot of money to make the place better. They just need to make sure there are least interruptions.
- So, how does it affect time? Pretty simple! The environment conducive to learning promotes faster learning. This in turn saves your time significantly.
Stop virtual socialization
- Social media allows us to stay connected to the family, friends, and the rest of the world. Everything is now on the smartphones. Everyone has a smartphone. This is hardly a secret that we spend a lot of time on social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter.
- Unfortunately, online college students, and even others, do not even realize how much time they end up spending on online social activities. By limiting the social media usage you can safe ample amount of time.
- Make a schedule to do the study related activities. During this time make sure that you disconnect yourself from virtual society. Turn off the Wi-Fi and data connection on the phone. Do not access your social media accounts on computer or laptop while working or studying.
- Do not enable the ‘remember me’ or auto login options for social media accounts. If you have one click access to them you are more likely to spend more time. However, when it asks you for the username and password every time, you are reminded that you need to get back to what is more important.
Complete one task at a time
- This is another important thing to remember. Not everyone is meant to do multitasking. Also, not everyone needs to. Multitasking appears to be more efficient and time saving. In reality, it takes more time.
- Once you have set focus on one thing it is best to carry on with it. Building the focus again requires time. Juggling with many things at one time results in loss of focus and also loss of time. Finish one task and then move on to another. Prioritize your tasks.
Make a plan
- Make a plan to manage your time. Create a schedule and stick to it. Make sure that you find time for everything in the schedule.
- You will also need to make sure that there is some time for rest as well as recreational activities. Some bit of fun once in a while helps you rejuvenate and work with more efficiency.